Friday, November 15, 2013

I Am Antigone! Hear My Dead Voice!

Dear Haemon,

I, Antigone, do believe that I have done right by burying my beloved brother, Polynices, properly. It is the law of the gods! They may strike us down in a moment! We must remember that "We have only a little time to please the living, But eternity to love the dead" (129). What is a simple transgression against the soil if it means being paid in full for it after death? And please do recall, living without burying Polynices would be to "defy the holiest laws of heaven" (129). Why must we fear a simple man of soil when the gods are what rule us? We must fight for the will of the gods. It is only what can be done if you want to live a happy 
eternity. I will stand at no man's feet and plead for my life over my actions. In the end, he will have no say in my eternity. 

Furthermore, Polynices may have betrayed Thebes, but he will always be my blood. Look deep at the past of the story of my blood. “How we who are left must suffer for our father, Oedipus” (126). How much suffering do you wish Ismene and I to bare? Even though Ismene is as simple as every woman in Thebes, I know it caused her great sorrow to know Polynices would be denied a proper burial. I do not agree with her obeying the law of the land over the law of the gods, and I will not be swayed from my decisions. Polynices was my brother! My last brother! With "father and mother lost, where would I get Another brother?" (150). You must understand my issue! I could get another husband, or another son, but to receive another brother at this point is impossible. 

But alas, do not pity me! It was my own decision. I will receive my consequences with honor. Honor from the gods. Let it be known, that I would never have changed anything. By the time you read this, dear Haemon, I will be dead. But you must remember, it is what I needed to do. "If this [ban on my brother's burial] is God's will, I shall learn my lesson In death" (150).I do not possess a care in the world that would change my mind as of this moment. All I care to know, is that dear Polynices is buried properly and will receive his proper standing in heaven. You will find other fields to plow, so you mustn't be sad. 

With much love,
Antigone

4 comments:

  1. Bah ha! I can't believe you inserted the "other fields to plow" line at the end. Not sure Antigone would have actually said that, unless she'd overheard it said by Creon and was repeating it bitterly, but even if she hadn't, it was a fun moment of dramatic irony at the end.

    This was great! Wonderful job emulating Sophocles' elevated diction, and you fluidly and convincingly incorporated the quotes. It's interesting to think that Antigone's last letter to her supposedly beloved fiance is almost totally fixed on justifying Polynices' burial. No professions of love lost, no heartfelt pleas for remembrance-- just a pragmatic and impassioned rationale of Polynices' burial. That fits, I think, with what we see of Antigone in the play! Even though Haemon seems totally in love with Antigone, enough so that he would kill himself at the sight of her dead body, she seems almost indifferent to him. We don't even know they're engaged until Haemon brings it up. Her single-mindedness and righteous indignation is reflected here. Good job Bryce!
    15/15

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great job Bryce!! You really reflected her well!!! Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the way that you made this into a letter to Haemon, especially with your usage of the phrase "other fields to plow". It really made me laugh, but you also did it in a way that was true to what the reader sees in the play. Great job, Brycee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bryce, you effervescent igloo! I love your diction in this. It really seems like it could have been a part of the play. I love how sassy it is too, because we all know that Antigone is about as sassy as they come :) Your quotes were well chosen and integrated well! Good job buddy!

    ReplyDelete