Friday, October 18, 2013

She's Smart and Stupid. She's Put Together and a Mess.

She is so scared and confused as we ride the light rail. She keeps talking about the irrational idea that the light rail will fall of the tracks and kill us all. She’s always been extremely irrational with her fears. I watch her attempt to understand the map, trying to navigate it on her own, but she gives up and gives the map to me. I don’t understand. She always seems to understand anything that anyone gives her. Why can she not follow simple directions to get to her destination? It’s easier than anything we are learning in school. The directions aren’t even confusing and yet they confuse her to no end. I mean she passed with an A in Physics.
                
I navigate us through the roads and we reach our destination. There are three doors that lead into the same building, but only one of the doors lead into the correct area of the building. We end up trying all three because she can’t remember which door leads to the correct area. She can pass all of her classes, yet she can’t remember a simple path through a building. Oddly enough, she remembers the number of the floor she is supposed to go to as if it was imbedded in her mind. We travel up to the seventeenth floor of the building.
                
I still don’t know what her appointment is for. Her mother is a nurse and usually tends to all of her illnesses that she gets so frequently. Why are we in the middle of Downtown Seattle for an hour long appointment?
               
  I wait for her as her appointment goes on.  She comes out seeming slightly exhausted from the appointment. She is hurried to talk about any other subject that she can. She can’t be that sick, or else all of our family would know. 
               
  My Aunt says before she takes me home, we have to put in some prescriptions. That’s when it dawns on me. She was at the Psychiatrist. But, why? She never seems to show any sign of having a psychological illness. She is responsible and she gets good grades. What could possibly be wrong with her? I try to get her to talk about what her appointment was for just to hear explain what it is, but she keeps avoiding my question, making jokes and changing the subject.

              
I may never know what is exactly wrong with her, but I do know that I can see her fear of everything outside of academics. She is kind to the point that she would bring me a warm drink on a cold day, but she can’t do anything besides school on her own. Her life is absorbed by something. Something that she isn’t quite ready to talk about with the world.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Bryce, we are all here for you! I love that you chose to use an actual event to create the beautifully complex character that is you. But I guess that just makes sense; people are their most "real" in everyday situations, like going downtown with someone for an appointment. And Bruski, I don't want you to be afraid. I don't know what I can do for you, but know that I will do ANYTHING if it'll help. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryce, this is so raw and gripping. The frantic nature of it pulled me right in, and my heart was right there with you. The conclusion of your anecdote made my heart race. "Her life is absorbed by something. Something that she isn't quite ready to talk about with the world." It's beautiful, and intriguing, but gut-wrenching. I know what it feels like to go to a building and forget exactly where you are supposed to go, frantic, flustered, flushed. This is amazing, Bryce, we are simply human. Deviations from the norm, whether mental, physical, or emotional epitomize our entire existence. Thank you for putting such a significant part of you into this, it cuts through all the superficial, and this is the type of story that means something, about a girl who means even more to those who love her. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. You probably know better than anyone that scared, flawed human beings are all the more lovable in their disarray. Glad you're hearing positive feedback sweet girl.

    Is this a child narrating? Would have been fun to play with "voice" in simplifying the vocabulary. Some direct characterization at times, but mostly indirect. Great illustration Bryce. :)
    14/15

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Bryce, you darling penguin. You've had so much go on in your life and I wish I could make it all better. You are one of the strongest people I know. If I had to deal with even half the crap you do, I would be long since institutionalized. You're so beautiful, smart, funny, lovely, and talented, and for some stupid reason, some people don't seem to see that. This is a great way of showing who you are. Everyone needs help sometimes, but most people aren't brave enough to admit it like you. *hugs* I love you buddy! <3

    ReplyDelete